The UIDAI’s mandate is to issue every resident a unique identification number linked to the resident’s demographic and biometric information, which they can use to identify them-selves anywhere in India, and to access a host of benefits and services.
Benefits of UID:
- Aadhaar will become the single source of identity verification. Residents would be spared the hassle of repeatedly providing supporting identity documents each time they wish to access services such as obtaining a bank account, passport, driving license and so on.
- By providing a clear proof of identity, Aadhaar will also facilitate entry for poor and underprivileged residents into the formal banking system and the opportunity to avail services provided by the government and the private sector.
- Giving migrants mobility of identity.
- Financial inclusion by using UID with deeper penetration of banks, insurance and easy distribution of benefits of government schemes etc.
Aadhaar Project status in Himachal Pradesh:
- Aadhaar project in Himachal Pradesh started in Jan, 2011.
- Phase-I of Aadhaar project completed in June, 2013 with 85% of the total population enrolled under Aadhaar.
- Phase-II of Aadhaar project was started in July, 2013 till December 2013. At the end of Phase-II, State was able to achieve 95% Aadhaar coverage in the State.
- Phase-III of Aadhaar enrolments in the State was carried out using Mobile vans.
- Currently Phase IV of Aadhaar enrolment is operational, 288 permanent enrolment centers have been set up.
There are 74,51,955 residents in the State (projected population 2020). 75,34,930 UIDs (101.1%) have been generated in the State. Aadhaar saturation level in the State for the population above 5 years is more than 100%.
DBT status in Himachal Pradesh:
- Total 163 (76 Central Sponsored Schemes and 87 State Sponsored Scheme) have been on-boarded on Bharat DBT Portal and this department is in-process of identifying the additional schemes in consultation with all State Government Departments
- Under Direct Benefit Transfer scheme Rs. 5730.07 crore till September 2020 has been successfully transferred into beneficiaries Aadhaar enabled bank accounts under 57 schemes.