The Department of Information Technology was set up in 2004 with the mandate to lay a strong foundation for development of Information Technology (IT) in the state. The department strives to encourage investments in IT and IT Enables Services, facilitates the establishment of IT institutes, works for improving the quality of IT education in the state and is at the forefront in promoting usage of IT Tools for ensuring a SMART (Simple, Moral, Accountable, Responsive & Transparent) Government.
- Formulation and Implementation of the Information Technology Policy in the state.
- Introduction of automation and cybernation control systems so as to ensure faster information processing within Government, including projects and activities relating to e-Governance.
- Promotion of investment in Information Technology Sector (hardware, software and services-particularly ITES and BPO) and related activities and creation and upgradation of Information Technology infrastructure in the State.
- Assistance in development and implantation of software packages for monitoring of key parameters and computerization of thrust areas in different departments and semi-Government organizations.
- Creation of Government-Public Interface through unified service delivery channel by using Information Technology and Information Technology enabled infrastructure and also to launch awareness campaigns on the advantages of the use of Information Technology and related technologies in enhancing the standard of living and improving quality of life.
- Standardization of hardware/software platforms for the departments/organization and to ensure dynamic monitoring of their prices and minimization of wasteful expenditure.
- Administrative control of Himachal Pradesh State Electronics Development Corporation.
- Formulation of strategy for a Statewide Internet.
- Development of Information Technology related communication infrastructure.
- Assistance to the departments/semi-Government organizations in creating and updating websites.
- Promotion of Information Technology Education and training in educational institutions and government departments/semi-government organizations and facilitation of development/dissemination of educational software and promoting programs in Information Technology enabled education.
- Organization of various promotional activities like national/international conferences/seminars and participation in the same.
- Follow up of Information Technology related projects/schemes posed to the government of India and its agencies and also other players in this field in India as well as abroad.
- Facilitating the establishment of Venture Capital Fund by financial institutions for the growth of the Information Technology industry in the state.
- Identification of laws and rules which need to be modified or enacted to enable legal validation for the transaction and also to develop specific Cyber-Coding for ensuring and maintaining secrecy and also to act as nodal agency/authority on behalf of the State Government for matters relating to Information Technology Act and similar other central and state legislation.
- Maintenance of database for all Information Technology related material and human resources available in the state.